A few decades back, construction structures were built with a combination of concrete and iron rods. What resulted later was that the iron rods began to rust and rot at a rapid pace culminating in the construction structures losing their equilibrium, stability, and durability unable to withstand the wrath of natural disasters and also passage of time.
Construction structures require not just a massive dosage of time, money, and care, but also require quality materials to be able to sustain themselves and retain their value for the long-term. By proper materials, it is meant not just concrete, wiring, pipes, tiles and so on, but also steel bars that form the frame-work and support of construction structures.
Reinforced concrete that holds the construction structures essentially gets its support and strength from two materials – concrete and steel, together. While concrete as a material is extremely strong in compression it is without strength in tension. To compensate for this imbalance, concrete needs to be reinforced with steel bars to help hold it in a compressed state. Among steel bars, TMT bars is the best steel bar that helps construction structures withstand and resist induced forces like tensile and shear whilst using the concrete to resist the compressive forces.
WHAT IS TMT BARS AND WHAT IS ITS SIGNIFICANCE?
TMT (stands for Thermo Mechanically Treated) Bar, also called as Reinforcing Bar or Rebar in CIVIL ENGINEERING terminology, is described as a high-strength reinforcement bar with a tough outer core and soft inner core. Since its introduction, TMT bars have time and again proven to be extremely viable for reinforcing concrete structures. Today, TMT bars are commonly used as tensioning device to reinforce concrete, helping it resist compressive forces.
Known for its high-strength, sturdy built and robust appearance with the capability to provide better reinforcement to any concrete structure, TMT (Thermo Mechanically Treated) Steel Bars are ideal for building earthquake-resistant structures. They not only help to minimize the effects of damages during any seismic activities but they also offer the perfect optimum balance between toughness and flexibility (Elongation). Further, they also possess high yield strength and greater tensile strength, flexibility, and ductility than mild steel.
IMPORTANCE OF TMT BARS
The construction industry is largely dependent on the best-quality TMT bars. That is because the TMT bars are strong in tension and at the same time, ductile enough to be shaped or bent. This allows them to bond well with concrete. Apart from that, TMT bars also offers the following benefits:
- The thermo-mechanical treatment exerted in TMT effectively creates temperature gradient between hot inner core and cooler surface. This in turn generates a hard outer surface through the steel crystalline structure that is superior and ideal for construction. The high temperatures and subsequent shaping by twisting and rolling also makes the TMT bars highly effective for the construction of any kind of reinforced concrete structures including buildings, reservoirs, piles, and so on.
- TMT bars are loaded with several amazing properties. Their content is the same as that of low carbon. This allows them to be used for welding joints sans any reduction of strength at the weld joints. Even when severe stress occurs during dynamic loading or severe seismic activity, the construction structure largely stays stable with only a mild tilting, followed by the subsequent shift of the exterior to its original position. TMT bars can also be easily welded and bent and re-bent easily during construction process.
- Among the steel bars, TMT bars offer the best design flexibility in color, texture, and shape. Its unique combination of strength, durability, precision, and malleability gives the builders a wide array of options to innovate and come up with newer ways of construction. It also has the ability to bend to a certain radius that can create segmented curves or free-form combinations for arches, domes, or facades. Furthermore, its long spanning ability also allows for large open spaces free of intermediate columns or load-bearing walls.
- TMT bars can be swiftly and efficiently assembled in all conditions and seasons. The initial cooling period that TMT bars undergo makes their outer layer extremely hard tempered. Add to this they have a soft inner-core making them extremely ductile with the ability to significantly upgrade on strength. Further, their lighter weight relative to other framing materials like concrete not only assures a smaller, simpler construction foundation but also considerable resource efficiencies and economic benefits, including reduced site management costs, accelerated project schedules, and early healthy returns on investments.
- Construction structures often take long time. But with TMT bars, construction structures can be rapidly completed and alterations can be swiftly made based on different needs and space usage. For instance, TMT bars framing allows easy alterations to existing electrical wiring, computer networking cables, and communication systems. Overall, construction structures with TMT bars offer greater potential for alterations over time, extending the lifetime of the structures.
- TMT bars slender framing looks with flexibility and malleability inspires architects to explore, pursue and innovate with construction structure design looks in varied ways. For instance, different shapes and textures with a sense of openness can be tried to arrive at the best possible construction aesthetic look.
- TMT bars are extremely strong with higher load-bearing capabilities, free of surface irregularities and deformities. They are designed to offer durability, structural stability, and enhanced reinforcement to construction structures. Furthermore, the ribs on their surface ensure superior bonding with cement which in turn increases the structural stability of the construction structures.
- Lesser amount of TMT bars can be used when compared to other steel bars categories for construction structures. TMT bars also offer superior load-bearing capabilities which allow them to be used economically. They also come at cheaper costs and the overall expense of using them during construction can be quite low, all of which makes them a very economic choice for construction purposes.
- Steel is 99% recyclable without the effects of down-cycling. When a steel-framed construction made with TMT bars is demolished, its components can be reused or circulated into the steel industry’s closed-loop recycling system for melt-down and repurposing. TMT bars can also be endlessly recycled without the loss of properties. This way, TMT bars greatly reduces the exploitation of resources while also staying much more energy-efficient.
With natural disasters on the rise the world over, modern construction structures need to be highly-corrosion resistance to not only sustain themselves but also ensure structures longevity and durability. Thanks to the manufacturing process that often uses quenching, there is limited or virtually no coarse carbide presence (responsible for rapid corrosion) in TMT bars. This further makes them highly-resistant to rust and dirt and also ensures that it does not undergo continual decay which is a nagging problem that afflicts construction structures across India.
Construction structures with TMT steel bars are also extremely light and compact than pure concrete structures. More importantly, such structures also require minimal extensive foundation which in turn greatly reduces negative environmental effects. On the positive side, they can be extracted, recycled, and reused at the end of a construction structure’s lifespan, thereby eliminating waste materials onsite.
HIGHLY DEPENDABLE CONSTRUCTION MATERIAL
TMT bars are also highly energy-efficient that ensures the heat radiated quickly from steel roofing, creates a cooler structure environment in hot climate areas. Likewise, in cold climates, double TMT steel bars panel walls can be well-insulated to effectively contain the heat. Today, TMT bars have become the most sought-after steel bars for construction structures across the world, used widely in construction projects ranging from residential / commercial, to high-rises; dams; industrial, underground, and underwater / marine structures; long-span bridges and flyovers; malls, airports, and hospitals; and so on.
When manufactured to the most exacting specifications under highly-controlled conditions, TMT steel bars eliminate the risk of on-site variability. Furthermore, they also make the construction process faster and greatly reduce the cost of construction besides providing the construction structure, ever-lasting features that stands the test of time.
BUY THE BEST TMT BARS
If you’re looking to purchase TMT bars, you need to ensure that it strikes the right balance between toughness and flexibility, with excellent weldability, ductility, and yield-strength. This way, project managers can focus on the project’s scope and implementation.
Currently, there are several grades of TMT bars in the marketplace. The higher the grade, the better the TMT bars are. Herein, Fe 500D Grade TMT Bars offers the perfect balance of strength & flexibility according to IS Standards, well-complemented by exceptional spanning and acoustic noise-dampening capabilities, and dimensional stability over-time. Further, it offers the speed and precision essential for assembling onsite with minimal onsite labor. Hence, it is recommended for all types of construction purposes.
Premier TMT steel bars manufacturer, VINAYAK STEEL INDUSTRIES offers the best-of-its-kind genuine strongest and long-life TMT steel bar Fe-550 that conforms to IS: 1786:2008 BIS standards (a standard equivalent to a number of international standards like ASTM A615 Grade 60 of the USA; BS 444 Grade 460 of Britain; BST 500 of DIN 488 of Germany).
VINAYAK STEEL’s high-grade Fe-550 is extremely robust with guaranteed assurance of top-notch equilibrium, safety and stability to a concrete structure, allied with the ability to greatly resist dynamic loading with varied yield and tensile strength. In every sense, it remains an ideal construction material for coastal, marine or underground construction structures.
Fe-550 TMT steel bars manufactured by VINAYAK STEEL involve the latest technology with robust quality-check processes including intense anti-corrosion testing methodologies, in extreme rusting conditions. Most importantly, every VINAYAK’s Fe-550 steel bar carries a BIS Certification confirming its adherence to IS 1786:2008 (Contains the Standard Mark, Cast / Lot number, Grade, Size, & Corresponding test results).
To extract the best out of VINAYAK STEEL’s Fe-550, it’s advisable that its best selected in accordance with the design requirement of the construction structure.
VINAYAK STEELS LIMITED, with its well established in-house infrastructure Capabilities and Capacities plus comprehensive stock of raw material and finished products, is ideally positioned to continually provide the best quality TMT bars for all types of construction needs, for years to come.